Establishing goals and criteria for project evaluation
- Automation of controlling (saving time spent on data acquisition, processing and reporting)
- Business process support (supporting a specific decision-making process, financial metrics (e.g., inventory reduction by X%), number/value of ideas/improvements through the use of BI (subjective evaluation by users))
- Developing a culture of data discovery (number of BI queries, number of requests for new reports, working time of users, utilization rate, number of ad-hoc queries generated by users)
Defining the requirements for the BI platform
- What is the annual cost of licenses for key users in the company?
- Does the app run in the cloud or also on-premise?
- Is it possible to work on mobile devices?
- Is BI visually appealing?
- Does it offer easy access to data and convenient viewing of relevant information?
- Is it safe?
- Does the system allow to clean, combine and model the data?
- Does the system offer integration with the company’s existing systems (ERP/CRM/MES etc.) directly or via API?
- Does it allow to interact with the data in a visual interface or does it require coding?
- Does it allow “drill down” and “drill through” actions?
- Will I be able to design dashboards and reports on my own?
- Is the application in the spirit of “self-service” or does it require technical competence?
- Does it allow to visualize geographic data?
- Is it easy to learn this application?
- How developed is the market for professional service providers for this application?
- Can I collaborate with others on data analysis and share analyses?
3. Pre-selection of solutions
4. Proof of Concept
5. Functionality tests
6. Determining the total budget of the project
7. Identification of risks
8. Summary of results and preparation of recommendations